Macadamia French Toast is one the most popular french toast dishes that we serve at Hallauer House B & B. Just the other morning every guest was welcomed into the clean plate club! So we decided to write down our version of the recipe and share although you will find variations all over the internet enjoy!
6 large eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 16 ounce loaf Italian bread sliced into 1 inch thick pieces
2/3 cup butter
1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts (Good price on these at Costco)
- Mix eggs, sugar, nutmeg, juice, milk, and vanilla in large bowl.
- Place bread slices in a single layer in a large 13-by-9 inch baking dish.
- Pour egg mixture over bread, turning each slice to make sure that they are soaked.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In morning, heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Put butter chunks in 15-by-10 inch baking pan and place in oven until melted
- Place egg saturated bread slices in hot buttered pan and bake for 10 minutes
- Remove from oven and carefully turn slices over.
- Sprinkle nuts on top of slices and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- After plating, sift powdered sugar on top and serve with syrup of choice.
This recipe for Macadamia Nut French Toast will serve 4 nicely but can be adjusted depending on size of bread loaf and slices.
The baking time is just 20 minutes total but be sure to allow time for turning each slice over and adding the nuts. I have also found that spraying the baking pan with nonstick spray before melting the butter helps make turning easier. I also cut down on the amount of butter but found that the bread stuck to the pan so feel free to experiment and let me know how it goes.
And by the way, another good overnight recipe, Blueberry Oatmeal Streusel French Toast can be found here