Happy National Pancake Day! Have you had your pancakes yet? Well if you missed them at breakfast this morning have no fear for you can have them for dinner! But stop!! Don’t open that box of pancake mix! With so many recipes to be found in cook books and on the internet it doesn’t take all that much more to make your very own from scratch. They will taste oh so much better! So to get you started, I am posting a fast and simple recipe to get you started. Be creative with this. Think of the possibilities!
Quick and Easy Pancakes
Prep Time – 5 min. Cook time – 6-8 min. Yield: About 8 or 9 pancakes using a 1/4 cup to dip batter
1 cup flour (all purpose, whole wheat, soy)
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder (yes, you read that right – tablespoons!)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk (whole, 2%, skim, soy, almond, rice)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. Begin by setting all ingredients and needed equipment out on the counter
2. Preheat an electric skillet to 350 degrees or skillet on range unit to medium.
3. Measure and combine the first 4 ingredients in bowl.
4. Measure and add milk and oil to dry ingredients
5. Mix to incorporate but don’t overmix
6. When a splash of water sizzles on the pan then it is hot enough
7. Dip out 1/4 measuring cup of batter and pour it into the hot skillet
8. When bubbles appear in center of pancake and edges become firm, then flip them over very carefully
9. Cook on second side until brown and cakes are firm.
10. Repeat till all are cooked; keep others warm in oven.
This recipe allows you to be your creative self! Add fruit, cinnamon, nutmeg, other flavorings, use different flours, milks, non dairy, gluten free. Experiment! Have fun! And don’t forget to drizzle some Ohio Maple Syrup all over the top!