A picture speaks a thousand words! And while this slow cooker herb bread baked it smelled divine! And when time to eat it, it tasted scrumptious!
So just what is this delectable bread and how was it so easy to make.
First thing though is to share the Herb Bread recipe, so here it is:
1 packet dry active yeast
1 1/4 cups warm water
1 tsp. sugar
3 T. extra virgin olive oil
2 T. fresh rosemary, chopped and divided
1 T. fresh thyme
1/2 T. fresh oregano chopped
1 tsp. sea salt divided
3 1/2 cups bread flour
- In bowl of electric mixer mix water, yeast, and sugar and let sit for 5 minutes until bubbly.
- Once yeast is bubbly, add 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, 1 1/2 tablespoons of the rosemary, the thyme, the oregano, the oil, and the flour.
- Use the dough hook of the mixer mix on medium speed for about 5-6 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. (I did not have to add any additional flour.) If you do not have an electric, knead dough by hand
- Line the insert of your slow cooker (crock pot) with parchment paper making sure that it covers the sides.
- Shape dough into a round loaf and place on the parchment paper.
- Sprinkle top with remaining salt and rosemary
- Place paper towels over top of slow cooker before putting on lid. This will absorb any moisture that might fall onto the bread.
- Cook on high for 2 hours until bottom is browned and bread is cooked through.
- Remove from crock pot and place under broiler for 2 -3 minutes or until lightly browned on top.
- Let cool then slice and enjoy! Serve with softened butter or seasoned olive oil.
The Herb Bread recipe was very easy to make taking only about 15 minutes. The most time consuming part was gathering the herbs and finely chopping them. The kneading was done by the mixer hook and the dough was not sticky so needed no additional flour. The aroma as the bread baked was absolutely heavenly! And the first bite, as I mentioned above, was positively divine!
Recipe adapted from “12 Tomatoes”