When puff pancakes
are served for breakfast here at Hallauer House B & B most guests rush from the table, grab their phones, and take a picture! It is by far, one of our most popular entrees. And the one with the most recipe requests!
It is baked in the oven and when it comes out the pancake resembles a souffle or a popover. And like a souffle it will deflate quickly so speed is always of the essence when going from oven, to plate, to service. The pancake can be served with any number of sauces, such as blueberry, apricot, apple, or cherry. The cherry sauce is the most popular one we have found. Fresh fruit is also a serving choice with perhaps a drizzle of Ohio Maple Syrup on top or a sprinkle of powdered sugar or a drizzle of honey.
Difference between our Puff Pancake and the Dutch Baby
- When you search any recipe for Dutch Baby you will find that it is made in a
cast iron or heavy, oven proof skillet.
- After baking, the filling or sauce is placed on and it is then sliced into 6 individual triangular servings making it look almost like a pizza.
- When you eat or make our Puff Pancakes you will find that they are baked in 10 oz. custard cups.
- They then almost resemble a large popover. The sauce or filling is placed inside and guests receive a tall individual serving instead of a flat triangle.
Could it be a savory pancake?
And the answer is yes. After the batter is blended add fresh herbs just before pouring into hot pan. The filling can be anything your imagination comes up with.
RECIPE FOR PUFF PANCAKES 4-6 servings
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1 T. sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 2 T. butter, divided
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, eggs and milk until smooth
- Spray 10 ounce custard cups with non stick spray
- Divide the 2 T. butter into the 4 – 6 custard cups
- Place custard cups into the preheated oven and heat until butter is melted, 2 – 3 minutes.
- Remove to counter and divide batter equally into the custard cups.
- Place back into oven and bake for 30 – 35 minutes, until puffed and golden brown.
- When done, work quickly to place puffs on plates, fill with sauce, and serve.
- Use the nonstick spray before putting in the butter chunk.
- Make sure you pour the batter into HOT custard cups.
- Baking time varies depending on serving numbers – more time for 4 servings and less time for 6.
Recipe for Cherry Sauce
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 4 T. butter
- 1/2 tsp. almond flavoring
Place first 4 ingredients in saucepan and heat til butter is melted
Add almond extract
Keep warm til ready to serve.
Puff Pancakes are just entree served here at Hallauer House B & B. You can find more examples of good eats by exploring our website. And click here for more of our recipes.